Frequently Asked Questions
MLC APPLICATION FAQs
- How should I forward my letters of recommendation?
Applicants are instructed to upload the letters of recommendation in a PDF file with the main body of your application packet to the following secure link (opens in a new window): https://www.dropbox.com/request/Ln8fX8hiszOvbuObwR84 The site will stop accepting uploads at 2300 Pacific Standard Time (PST) on Friday 05JAN2018
- What should I include in my letters of recommendation? We recommend focus be placed on your intellectual diversity and curiosity, your ability to engage in academic discussions about the current issues of the day, and any qualities or experiences that differentiate you as a leader.
- When will the selectees be announced? The Milken Institute retains full responsibility for the selection process of new members while the MLC retains responsibility for administrative and marketing aspects of the application process. We work together to provide applicants as much lead time as possible of their selection. This year, we hope to notify new MLC selectees no later than February 2, 2018. This is about 12 weeks prior to our first meeting, which will take place at the 2018 Milken Institute Global Conference. Our goal is to allow MLC participants plenty of time to purchase their airfare at the lowest rate possible and to make all of the necessary arrangements to support their travel. Alternates selectees will also be notified and will have the opportunity to join should primary selectees be unable to attend the Milken Conference.
- What do I win if I am selected? Those selected become members of an elite, independent group of forward thinking military officers who work across multiple organizations on initiatives related to bridging the CIV-MIL divide.
- How much does it cost to attend the Global Conference? MLC members attend the Milken Global Conference as invited participants, at no cost, similar to speakers and other individuals that contribute to the programming of the conference.
- Do MLC members pay for their own lodging and travel to the Global Conference? Yes, MLC members are expected to fund their own travel and lodging, however, members are not restricted from seeking funding from their command. Considering the significant professional development and public relations opportunities for the military, members are encouraged to seek no-cost TAD orders from their command rather than take leave.
- When should I plan to arrive at the Global Conference? We encourage all MLC members to arrive no later than Saturday, April 28, 2018 in the early afternoon. MLC members will gather for a group social on Saturday night and conference related socials on Sunday. Sunday is also the preferred time to secure your credentials and registration information. The conference starts fast and furious on Monday. With over 3,000 people in attendance, waiting to register until Monday may cause you to miss the opening sessions.
- When should I plan to depart the Global Conference? MLC members should be prepared to fly out after 7:00 pm on Thursday, May 2, 2018. If possible, flying out on Friday is the preferred alternative. The conference goes all day Wednesday and closes with a great reception early Wednesday evening. MLC members are planning several post-conference events along with a final social Thursday evening.
- Is lodging provided? The MLC has an appointed logistics team to help all MLC members with housing options and other travel/administrative related questions. In the past, MLC members have stayed together in local houses, sharing the cost of lodging at a much reduced cost compared to local hotels. If selected as an MLC member, you will be contacted by the team and guided through conference related logistics decisions based on our previous lessons learned.
- Is local transportation provided in LA? Transportation is not provided, but MLC members are encouraged to link up as soon as they arrive and begin sharing Uber, Lyft, and Taxi rides. A rental car is usually not economical, nor necessary.
- If I am selected as an MLC member, which smartphone apps should I download? We encourage MLC members to download the following applications to simplify communications throughout the Milken conference and beyond: Milken Global Conference App (link will be provided), Uber and/or Lyft, Viber, Facebook, Twitter.
- Where can I learn more about the MLC member experience at previous Milken Conferences? The following articles and podcasts by MLC members offer a glimpse into the Milken Conference experience: